Hair Transplant Guideline
The Complete Guide to Hair Transplant
There are specific guidelines to be followed before and after the Hair Transplant procedure.
Pre-Operative Instructions for Hair Transplantation
Four weeks before surgery
- Perform massaging exercise gently to your scalp to increase the blood circulation to help transplanted grafts grow better after the surgery,
- Please inform the doctor regarding drug allergy!
Two weeks before surgery
- You should not use Rogaine or Minoxidil
One week before surgery
- No Plavix, Aspirin, Coumadin, Heparin (blood thinners), or anti-inflammatory medications that contain Aspirin,
- No Vitamin E, Fish oil,
- No Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng or other herbal supplements should be used,
- Continue your regular medicines unless the doctor told you to stop taking them,
- If you have high blood pressure or other chronic diseases and taking medication, please inform your doctor not to use Beta-blocker for one week before surgery and switch to another drug,
- Please notify the doctor in case of fever or sickness or further surgery you will have before surgery,
- If you color your hair regularly, please do so at least 7 days before surgery because you should not color your hair after the surgery for at least one month.
One day before surgery
- No Alcohol usage and stop smoking,
- Make arrangements for someone to take you to and from the clinic because you have to take oral sedation in addition to local anesthetics,
- Confirm your appointment,
- Consultation or pick up shampoo, lotion, and pre/post-op antibiotics at the clinic,
- Clear the payment,
- Shampoo your hair with your regular shampoo at least 5 minutes x 2 the night before the surgery.
On the day of surgery
- Wash your hair in the morning using your regular shampoo for at least 5 minutes,
- Wear a button-down shirt and comfortable pants because you will lay down for around 6-8 hours,
- Do not wear anything that will have to be pulled tightly over your head for this may remove the hair that has just been transplanted and continue wearing buttoned t-shirts for a few days after surgery too,
- No tight hats or caps allowed-this may remove the transplanted hair,
- You may have light breakfast, but do try not to drink tea and coffee,
- Take antibiotic capsules after a meal as the doctor prescribed one hour before coming to the clinic. If it is not prescribed, you may take it at the clinic,
- Please attend the clinic on time,
- Do not bring valuable things with you to the clinic,
- You must have the blood test just before surgery for checking anti-HIV, HBS, HCV (general serology tests).
Hair Wash Instructions
• Put some lotion on top of your transplanted area and apply it very gently and wait for 20 minutes. You do not need to spread it over the donor area,
• Fill your cup with warm water and add a few drops of shampoo. Use a mild shampoo, such as the type used on infants. Use your fingertips to mix the shampoo with the water. Do these the first or second day after your hair transplant, unless your doctor instructs otherwise,
• Pour the soapy water over your hair. Rub the soapy water into the newly transplanted hair using very gentle pressure. Work slowly as to not cause yourself pain or damage by pulling out any of the transplanted hair,
• Fill the second cup with warm water once more. Pour the water of your hair, repeating until the soap is gone. Allow the hair to air dry,
• Do never use hair driers until one month after surgery,
• Repeat the process on the third and fourth day following the hair transplant procedure. During this time, you can use more pressure with circular movements. Pay special attention to any bloody scabs. Never pick away the scabs,
• Wash your hair in the shower, starting on the fourth day. Apply shampoo directly to your hands and create lather. Apply the soap to the newly transplanted hair by touching the palm of your hand to the grafts. Gently touch the hair with your fingertips, but do not massage. Rinse your hair under the showerhead,
• Repeat the process on the fifth day, though now, you can use a gentle back-and-forth motion while cleaning. Do not pick away any scabs,
• Continue washing your hair as you usually would a week after the hair transplant surgery. Shower twice a day, spending ten minutes massaging the newly transplanted hair in a circular motion. The circular motion will help to remove any scabs or dried blood. You can use the lotion and shampoo until it finishes.
Post-Operative Instructions for Hair Transplantation
• You will be provided all medication, shampoo, and lotion related to hair transplantation surgery, use them all until the boxes finish,
• You will be given an antibiotic to help prevent infection, use them as prescribed,
• Pain killers: You may take two tablets every 6-8 hours or only if needed,
• Do not take aspirin or other blood thinners for 3 days after surgery (except if the doctor approves the intake of this drug) as it can thin the blood and cause bleeding,
• Do not bend over but rather lower your body to pick up things for the first 5 days to prevent facial swelling. Be careful when you get inside the car. Make sure your head does not hit the roof,
• Do not overeat food because this may cause stomach upset, especially with the drugs you’re receiving during surgery,
• Do not drink alcohol for 48 hours after the surgery. Alcohol thins the blood and may cause bleeding,
• Keep the head elevated with two pillows and use a towel roll under your neck to help relieve the pain; make sure that your towels are clean,
• Lay only on your backside for at least 4 days period, do not sleep on the sides because this may cause blood pressure and swell accordingly,
• Use your shampoo and lotion every day until you finish. See and apply hair wash instructions,
• If you have too much and continuous bleeding and over pain, inform us immediately,
• You can wash your hair 24-48 hours after hair implantation,
• Do not hit the implanted part of your head for three days following hair implantation. Protect the area of hair implantation from direct sunlight for 15 days. Do not expose your hair to the pool, do not swim,
• Hair drier is not recommended,
• Do not use hair spray and gel for 15 days,
• You may continue exercises/sports after 45 days,
• You may start to shave your hair in a month, use scissors for the top of your head (where your transplantation has been made)
• Your hair will start to grow in 1 month period, it is expected that the first hair growth will fall away at first, but later your hair will grow stronger and stronger. You will get the real result in 8 months period.
Hair Transplantation Process
• After the extraction of thousands of hair grafts, it comes to analyzing these grafts one by one under special microscopes to classify and put into an order for transplantation. Meanwhile, the specialist will open new channels to insert and transplant the harvested hair grafts in your recipient area. It is quite essential to use special needles explicitly designed for this job to get successful results. The application of local anesthesia will prevent you from feeling any pain.
• Placing each graft requires high patience and experience to produce satisfactory and natural-looking results.
• It is natural that there will be some scars and blood on your head due to the surgical operation, which will become invisible soon.
• The recipient sites are made by the physician in a precise pattern, which will determine the direction that the hair grows out (once it begins growing). This is an extremely important part of the process, as the hair direction is continually turning on the top of the head. Similarly, the hair in the whorl (back of the head) must follow the original radial pattern. It usually takes about an hour and a half for the hair transplant specialist to make all of the recipient sites in a typical case of 2000-3000 grafts.
• Following the specialist's making of the recipient channels, it is time to install the grafts. The surgical techs have been cutting the grafts for about two to three hours now, and they should be nearly finished. Under the medical doctor's supervision, specialists working simultaneously can install 2000-3000 grafts in about 2-3 hours.
• Once all the grafts are in place and adjusted to the proper position, the specialist will review the overall placement and apply a bandage covering the transplanted area. Then you will review the post-op instructions.
• You will also be prescribed to take particular antibiotics and other tablets to reduce the risk of swelling and infection for the first three-five days after the surgery. Pain-relieving pills are used to increase comfort when needed.
• Your bandage will be removed and done your first controls 12-24 hours after the surgery, where your hair wash will be done in 48 hours.
• You will be supposed to follow hair wash instructions as prescribed until the scabs and blood are removed, preferably till the shampoo and lotion are finished.
ADVANTAGES OF MEDCO HAIR TRANSPLANT SERVICES:
- Successful implementation of FUT-FUE-DHI hair transplant methods and results
- Latest automated (powered) FUE techniques. Reliable results and natural-looking hair
- PRP supported FUE Techniques to enhance the best outcome
- Highly professional treatments, up to 5000 grafts (circa 10.000-14.000 hairs) in a single session.
- Facial hair transplants for men (beard transplant, mustache transplant)
- Body Hair Transplant (BHT)
- Hair transplantation for women
• If you have hair loss, hair thinning, baldness, or Androgen alopecia, looking for hair loss treatment or hair replacement, hair transplantation, we can help you bring back your confidence and self-esteem, and image.
• We are good hands in FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) or FUE hair transplant, with motorized hand engine and punches.
• For non-surgical hair loss treatment, we provide PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injection and supportive medications such as Minoxidil Lotion.
• We are also specialized in refined follicular unit hair transplantation (strip FUT) using state-of-the-art techniques in hair, depending on patients’ requests.
How Many Grafts Will I Need?
Out of all the questions you ask and want to ask from your surgeon while undergoing hair restoration, how many grafts do I need? This question is frequently asked because how many grafts will cost you how much grafts will cost you. They often encounter a person who undergoes surgery and spends a certain amount of money or paid a different cost.
You can easily send us a total of four pictures of your hair, from the back, front, and two from the sides, and we will reply to you within 24 hours. You can use the Norwood Scale to understand how many grafts you will need.